Re: Unbalanced change hooks (part 2) [Documentation fix still remaining]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Unbalanced change hooks (part 2) [Documentation fix still remaining]
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 19:54:36 +0300

> Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 16:18:21 +0000
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>
>
> > > Then the old text was right: it's called before ANY modification.
>
> > Convince Alan, and I will change it back.
>
> For what it's worth, I don't like the vagueness of the doc as it
> currently is, and I wouldn't be against changing it back _FOR 25.1_
> We've got a bug, but it's not urgent enough to have to be fixed for
> 25.1.

I made further adjustments to the text.  It is now closer to what it
was before, but I don't feel it's wise for it to be as definitive as
it was originally, as someone will surely interpret that too literally
and file another bug report, or design a feature based on incorrect
assumptions.

> Some while ago, I think you said that there is a systematic basis for
> when before-change-functions doesn't get called.  Is that still your
> view?

Yes.

> If so, let's document that system.

It's too complicated to describe that.  We would need to describe some
internal aspects of the implementation in great detail.  I don't see
that as worth our while.

Thanks.