Re: Question about intended behavior of 'insert-for-yank-1'.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Question about intended behavior of 'insert-for-yank-1'.
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2016 09:03:38 +0300

> From: Karl Fogel <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 14:17:41 -0500
>
> >Please cherry-pick the commit from master to emacs-25.
>
> Done (commit e1b2918c7c in emacs-25).

Thanks.

> The "Branches" section in CONTRIBUTE makes a distinction between
> "development" and "bug fixes".  I think of this change as more of a
> background improvement -- of the sort that just needs to get into Emacs
> eventually -- than as a bug fix of the sort meant by CONTRIBUTE.  However,
> your mail implies that CONTRIBUTE means to include this sort of thing in the
> category "bug fix" too.  You probably have a better handle on the intentions
> behind the language in CONTRIBUTE than I do, so I'll re-interpret that
> section accordingly.

You need to understand the logic behind the instructions in
CONTRIBUTE: the release branch should only get fixes that are either
necessary, or are safe, i.e. cannot possibly break the release.  And
doc changes obviously belong to this latter class.

I added a sentence about doc fixes to CONTRIBUTE.