Re: [Emacs-diffs] feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added

From: Alain Schneble
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2016 08:28:42 +0200

address@hidden (Phillip Lord) writes:

>>> Just for what I say. Having the two package systems in different
>>> top-level (or lower-lever) directories makes life easier. Copying files
>>> from package.el format locations in core format would be possible but,
>>> again, complex.
>>
>> Yes, there is an extra move files/directories step involved.  But I
>> think it finally makes the _user's_ life easier ;)
>
> "user" here means "developer" - it doesn't make any difference for the
> end user. For the developer, yes, it's probably easier for those who are
> used to the lisp in the core, but harder for those who are used to
> package.el format.

It was not clear from what I wrote, but I was referring to a user --
whether developer or not -- using a release version of Emacs and that
potentially doesn't even want to use package.el to install additional
packages.  If we stick to the Emacs directory/file layout, it is a
unified layout that gets presented to her.  Where distictions between
core libraries and ELPA core packages aren't visible at that level.
That would be worth trying to achieve, I think.  (And in fact is how the
directory/files organization looks like in the current release, IIUC.)

Alain