Re: When should ralloc.c be used? (WAS: bug#24358)

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: When should ralloc.c be used? (WAS: bug#24358)
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 18:36:02 -0700

On 10/26/2016 06:23 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:
Could you explain that more?

The main idea is to save the current Emacs state as C source code, then compile the (large and boring) .c file and relink Emacs with the resulting .o file instead of a dummy .o file that it would start off with. Most of this new .o file would be data; perhaps some would be code that would initialize the data, though we'd want to minimize this.

Does anyone want to implement another approach?

Eli has mentioned a simpler approach, where we build an .elc file when saving Emacs state and load the .elc file during normal startup. The main worry about this approach is performance.