Re: When should ralloc.c be used? (WAS: bug#24358)

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: When should ralloc.c be used? (WAS: bug#24358)
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 11:05:03 -0400

On Thu, 27 Oct 2016 07:51:37 -0700 Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
wrote:
> On 10/27/2016 06:44 AM, Fabrice Popineau wrote:
>
> > I find it disturbing that a C compiler will be needed to redump
> > Emacs.
> It's a tradeoff, yes. My impression is that the rare user who
> redumps Emacs typically has a C compiler installed or can easily
> install one, so it shouldn't be much to ask.

Agreed. On free operating systems it's easy (that's the whole point of
freedom!), and even on non-free operating systems free compilers are
available, so it isn't a big deal for most users I think. (On macOS
the official XCode compiler is also available gratis.)

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden