Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2016 10:03:04 +0200

> From: Ken Raeburn <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 23:28:27 -0500
> Cc: address@hidden,
>  address@hidden,
>  address@hidden
>
> > Ken, will you be able to continue working on your branch in this
> > direction?  Are all the changes suggested/tried by Stefan already on
> > that branch?  If not, would it be possible for Stefan or yourself to
> > update the branch?
>
> I have an update I’m still working on, to refine the hash table handling I
> did to generate less garbage while reading normal .el or .elc files.  I hope
> to get that uploaded soon.  And I think my previous push of the branch was
> before Stefan’s latest patch (Oct 31?), so I’ll pull that in too, unless he’s
> done some more work since.

Thanks.

> Regardless of the outcome of this current disagreement and whether big-elc
> gets used, I think the lread changes may soon be ready to merge, even if the
> performance benefits are less drastic for normal Lisp code.

I agree in general, but let's discuss this again when you think the
branch is ready.  I'd like to have the branch reviewed by those who
are interested (I will certainly do that myself) before we merge.

Does the branch include any benchmarks, to compare performance with
the current code, both for dumped.elc and for normal Lisp code?  If
not, can they be included/added, perhaps under test/?

> As for non-performance issues, last time I tried the big-elc code, it didn’t
> work for me in batch mode because of a null pointer dereference in face
> processing; I haven’t had a chance to look into it further but maybe in the
> next few days I can.

Let me know if you need help in that department.

Thanks again for working on this.