Re: Checking in files with trailing white space

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Checking in files with trailing white space
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 23:31:42 -0800

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
I'd rather avoid committing binary data. It's easier to read
and review text files, given the tools we have. Any tests that require
binary data can generate the data when the test is run.

How would you generate the likes of test/manual/etags/ETAGS.good_1?

That one is not a problem. By "binary data" I meant files that are not valid UTF-8 text, and that file consists entirely of UTF-8 text.

An example of trouble is test/manual/etags/f-src/entry.strange.gz. Instead of committing the gzipped file, I'd commit the original text file 'entry.strange', and compress a copy as part of the test.

To see an example problem when binary data is committed, visit this URL:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=6db72771cc08e719a08f56db8abd7cefef9c8c99

Because that commit installed some Latin-1 text, the body of that web page contains a mixture of UTF-8 and Latin-1. The web page is labeled as UTF-8, so the result works poorly with browsers (Firefox displays mojibake lines like "+2�4�bb*�abbbc�"). I fixed this particular problem just now in master by changing that file to use UTF-8, which works just as well for the Emacs test in question.