Re: 64-bit build on Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: 64-bit build on Windows
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2017 20:25:05 +0200

> From: Fabrice Popineau <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2017 20:51:47 +0100
> Cc: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>,
>       Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
>  AFAIR, the problem with Imagemagick support on Windows is that it can
>  only be supported when linked in statically,
>
> I don't think so. The patch I posted recently shows that emacs can be compiled
> with ImageMagick exactly the same way it is compiled with other dlls.

Can be built before the patch or after the patch?  And after it is
built, will it run on a system where ImageMagick is not installed at
all?

You see, w32-win.el doesn't have ImageMagick-related DLL names in its
value of dynamic-library-alist, and without that Emacs won't know
which libraries to look for when ImageMagick support is requested.

That alist is how officially supported optional libraries should be
introduced into the Windows build of Emacs -- we want a binary that
was built with these libraries to be able to run on systems without
the DLLs being available.  By contrast, just linking with the -lLIB
link-time switch produces a binary that will refuse to load if the DLL
is not found.