Re: lisp/term/ns-win.el modification

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: lisp/term/ns-win.el modification
Date: Mon, 1 May 2017 07:28:04 +0900

> On May 1, 2017, at 0:24, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> From: Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2017 11:06:08 -0400
>>
>>> What's the rationale for adding NBSP?  Also, is it only the NBSP
>>> character that's missing, or there are others?
>>
>> Possibly for consistency with other languages.  Here's what Python 3 does:
>
> Thanks, but I asked about the rationale in the particular context of
> the proposed change.  Sorry if that was unclear.

It looks like Anders found that in some cases a a non breakable space could be
added to a string in Gmail:

"I did test your patch from within gmail in Chrome. One this that I realized
was that when typing a space, it sometimes came out as a plain space, sometimes
as a non-breakable space. I'm not sure this is specific to the edit field in
gmail, but I think it would ba good idea to trim both kind of spaces."

That's the rationale.

But as I pointed out earlier, it would also be nice to have a clear definition
of what "trimming" a string means. It is means remove the ws at the beginning
and end of the string then the Unicode characters for ws should be used.

Jean-Christophe