Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2018 12:02:52 +0000

Hello, Stefan.

On Wed, Jan 03, 2018 at 17:45:27 -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > I agree.  Frequently, I am looking for recent changes in a
> > particular function.  C-s in the ChangeLog is much more convenient
> > than a git blame (or several of them in succession) followed by
> > remembering the hash of an indicated change (or several of them),
> > followed by a git show (or several of them).

> Hmm... could it be you haven't tried vc-region-history yet?

It could indeed.

> Try:

> - put the region around the chunk of code of interest.
> - hit C-x v h (or M-x vc-region-history if you use Emacs<26).
> - enjoy pure bliss.

Yes, thanks, that's nice.  Incidentally, the doc string for
vc-region-history is somewhat brief.

> > Let's please keep these individual function change descriptions in
> > the VC log (which will eventually become the ChangeLog).

> I tend to agree, but the text after the ":" should focus much more on
> the purpose of the change than on the description of the change itself.

I've been trying to do "motivational" commit messages for some while,
now.  Though, most of that has been in an explanatory paragraph below
the introductory line rather than in the description of each defun
change.  I think trying to explain the purpose of each individual change
might become things like "prevent doing <xxxx> with a nil argument",
which might not be much better than what we already have.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).