Re: bug#26323: 25.1; Closing frames (in fullscreen) under Mac OS cause i

From: Matthew Bauer
Subject: Re: bug#26323: 25.1; Closing frames (in fullscreen) under Mac OS cause immediate crash
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2018 21:05:06 -0500

Alan Third <address@hidden> writes:

> It was fixed after that. I can’t reproduce it in Emacs 26.
>
> I want to know how Matthew got his copy of Emacs as the code to turn
> off Sierra tab support is only included when built on Sierra+ or when
> using the right build options.
>
> As far as I’m aware emacsformacosx.com builds, for example, don’t
> include it yet.

So I've been building from source with a checkout of
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs.git. The revision is
8d4500087f547e203cfba03f61dcbe641bf650de.

I actually hadn't realized that Sierra's "tabbing" feature is disabled
intentionally in Emacs. I had been using it since Sierra came out and it
works fine except for the frame closing issue. This is obviously a
little contentious in the Emacs world but I wonder if it could be
supported. IMO this is a "window manager" feature similar to how lots of
window managers will group multiple frames of Emacs. In no way is it
really an "Emacs feature" that has to be disabled.

A note on this that may be important: This was from John's Nix
configuration script that is available on:
https://github.com/jwiegley/nix-config/blob/e5649602dc89f944e0444a88d8526b19b965bccb/overlays/10-emacs.nix#L678-L698

This probably accounts for how John is having the same issue. Nix does
some stuff to achieve "purity" but might be inadvertly introducing the
issue. The SDK used in Nixpkgs is still at macOS 10.10 Yosemite. It
could be causing the discrepency. Most likely the build from
"emacsformacosx.com" is using older SDKs as well.