Re: [O] Add ability to force-enable TOC

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: Re: [O] Add ability to force-enable TOC
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 08:32:52 -0500

Kaushal Modi <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Sep 20, 2017, 6:25 AM Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>
>     I didn't say it was an unusual case. I said it didn't cover all
>     the use-cases. Maybe you are really needing a subset of the
>     initial feature.
>
> Understood.
>
>     IOW, do mixed numbered/unnumbered headings make sense in TOC?
>
> Correct. That does not make sense to me. That is not my use case.

I support the use case of unnumbered table of contents.

In addition (although this is probably too much of a corner case to
support officially in Org Mode), it is common in the U.S. to use a mix
of numbered and unnumbered headings in books. One accomplishes this in
LaTeX with the following:

\tableofcontents

\chapter*{Introduction}
\addcontentsline{toc}{chapter}{Introduction}

\chapter{A Chapter}

\chapter{Another Chapter}

\chapter*{Conclusion}
\addcontentsline{toc}{chapter}{Introduction}

The resulting Table of Contents looks like this...

Introduction            3
1 A Chapter             5
2 Another Chapter       7
Conclusion              9