Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Planner mode C-c C-x changes "o" to "X"

From: Damien Elmes
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Planner mode C-c C-x changes "o" to "X"
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 10:57:37 +1100

Brent Goodrick <address@hidden> writes:

> In CVS, I can do a cvs status on the file, grep for the version, and
> then publish the file on a server with the file suitably renamed to
> contain that version string.

Hi Brent,

First of all, there's no concept of a version of a single file - only
sets of files. So the version of a file in a tree at one point in time
is just the version of the tree at that point in time.

To get the version suitable for pasting into a file, you do something
like:

mobile[0]% cd $el/ewiki-dev
mobile[0]% echo $(tla tree-version)-$(tla log-ls | tail -1)
address@hidden/emacs-wiki--dev--1.0-patch-44

.. which is not much different for grepping in the CVS status.

> I've not used arch, and have wanted to experiment with it. Are you
> saying that arch does not allow you to get at the version of a
> single file in a similar fashion?

Please do experiment! Most of its inconveniences are due to people not
having bothered to code the appropriate timesavers yet - so some error
messages are not as clear as they could be, etc. But distributed
development, being able to undo and redo changes in your working
directory, etc, is so much nicer than CVS. Not to mention proper
support for directories.

Cheers,
--
Damien Elmes