Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] a couple more planner things

From: Yvonne Thomson
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] a couple more planner things
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 20:10:16 +1000

At Wed, 9 Jun 2004 06:26:31 -0400,
John Sullivan wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 4:37am, Yvonne Thomson wrote:
> >
> > The second one's a bit more interesting, I promise. Or at least I hope
> > so. If you're on a
> > certain planner date page, and use planner-create-task-from-buffer to
> > create a task, I think it'd be a bit more intuitive to have the date
> > default to that date, rather than the actual system date.
>
> I've thought about this some too, and there are definitely times when
> that would be convenient, but I think that overall I prefer to have the
> default be the system date. I'm not looking at the day page for most of
> the tasks I create when I create them. I guess there is also the option
> to have a separate command for planner-create-task-this-page or
> something like that. Does planner-create-task-from-buffer take
> arguments? If so, maybe you can make your own binding to create a task
> on the current page.

It does actually take arguments, and I thought of doing it that way. The
problem comes in if I try to submit it to Sacha for other people to
use. It seems kind of insane to have multiple commands to create
tasks. Unfortunately, the only other alternative is to create a variable
to say whether you want it or not.

> > It'd be even
> > nicer, but probably not as useful, to be able to create a planner task
> > from the calendar for a day the same way you can view or jump to it.
> >

> This I would like, because it fits with the diary style of adding
> entries. I might not use it on my desktop much---it is so slow that
> browsing plan pages via the calendar is not an option---but I would use
> it at work and on my laptop.

Do you think it'd be too "magical" to tack this on to
create-task-from-buffer as well? I can't figure out if this'd be too
confusing, or whether if you were in calendar and hit
"create-task-from-buffer" you'd *expect* the task to be planned on the
day you were looking at. Again, we could use a variable to decide this,
but heck, planner's got more flags already than most apps.