[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: trouble using diary

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: trouble using diary
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 21:11:28 +0800

Ray Fix <address@hidden> writes:

> I am having trouble using diary. I know this is most likely pilot
> error on my part but I am stumped.

I figured out why (planner-diary-entries-here) works after the page
has been loaded, but not on initial load. Here's the culprit: during
the very first call to emacs-wiki-highlight-buffer, buffer-file-name
is nil. Why? Beats me.

This is also the reason why some <lisp>(...)</lisp> didn't get marked
up before. It wasn't that font-lock-support-mode was being too clever;
it just ran into an error.

I've tested this by switching a buffer from fundamental mode to
emacs-wiki-mode. I don't know why the buffer file name disappears
during a mode switch to emacs-wiki. I used this totally fake mode to test
if buffer-file-name is accessible during a mode switch:

(define-derived-mode funky-test nil "Funky"
  "Fake mode for testing if this works."
  (insert (buffer-file-name)))

and that worked, so either it's in the font-locking or something else
is screwing up. AHA! Using this even stranger funky-test method:

(define-derived-mode funky-test nil "Funky"
  "Fake mode for testing if this works."
  (set (make-local-variable 'font-lock-fontify-buffer-function)
       'funky-test-highlight-buffer))

(defun funky-test-highlight-buffer ()
  (message "The filename is %s" (buffer-file-name))

I get

The filename is nil
"The filename is nil"

switching from fundamental to funky-test-mode. I only get "The
filename is ....." when I call font-lock-fontify-buffer with the
buffer already in the right place.

So this points to a somewhat deeper bug still present in Emacs CVS as
of 2004-04-04 (ack! ancient!). I'm going to update tomorrow and see
what happens.

In the meantime, please try the rewriting method.

--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - Ateneo CS faculty geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, making computer science education fun