[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Feature request for planner

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Feature request for planner
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:33:18 +0900

Raimund Kohl-Fuechsle <address@hidden> writes:

> But this way emacs won't remind you ... right?  Or did I miss something?

It works for me because I don't really have appointments, just things
I would like to do. For example, my
http://sacha.free.net.ph/notebook/wiki/2005.01.15.php page says I'm
planning to attend the TLUG technical talk from 14:00 to 16:30. This is
something that is
not likely to be rescheduled.

Come to think of it, I no longer really need planner-diary.el except
for birthdays and the like--not that my birthday list is anywhere near
complete. Perhaps I should modify its behavior so that it inserts a
section only when there is data... <laugh>

> I for one tend to forget time when I am into something - and several
> times have I been happy since emacs beeped me back into reality for,
> let's say, taking our son to the Karate lesson ... I don't know how
> often I forgot the time without those little beeps and "woke up" with
> this "damned, how could time have elapsed so fast?!"

I have GNOME set up to make me take typing breaks: 3 minutes every
hour. I find that it doesn't interrupt my "flow" that much because I'm
still thinking, and it's a good opportunity to stretch and relax. It
also reminds me of the passage of time, which is rather handy. Come to
think of it, that's the only reason I use GNOME. I'd rather use
another window manager, but I'm too lazy to find out how to set up the
same behavior.

If you like scheduling, though, you might want to steal some of the
code from my http://sacha.free.net.ph/notebook/emacs/planner-config.el
. I went through a micro-scheduling phase (witness:
http://sacha.free.net.ph/notebook/wiki/2004.05.07.php ) and wrote
the following functions to help me do that:

sacha/planner-diary-add-entry
sacha/planner-diary-delete-entry
sacha/planner-diary-schedule-task
sacha/planner-diary-unschedule-entry

No idea if bitrot has affected these functions and no guarantee of
usability, but they might be a good starting point for diary
manipulation. ^_^

--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - open source geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, personal information management, CS ed