Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Muse-wiki milestone reached

From: Peter K . Lee
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Muse-wiki milestone reached
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 15:14:51 -0400

drkm <address@hidden> writes:

> Michael Olson writes:
>
>> Sounds interesting!  Can you point me to some documentation concerning
>> the form that the XML should have?
>
>   Yes, (info "(muse)") and (info "(planner-el)") :-p.
>
>   Really, *you* define what the XML looks like.  You define its
> structure, like:
>
>     <page name="2005.07.10" kind="day">
>       <tasks>
>         <task severity="A" refs="Muse XSLT">Add XSLT support and
>           XML output to Muse</task>
>         <task ...>...</task>
>       </task>
>       <schedule>
>       </schedule>
>       <notes>
>         <para>...</para>
>       </notes>
>       <ledger>
>         <entry>...</entry>
>       </ledger>
>     </page>

I really like the idea of having XML publishing for XSLT manipulation
to generate any form of output.

While I was writing the planner-sectionalize.el routine I published
earlier this month, I initially attempted to convert the detected
sections into an intermediary <section title="...">...</section>
markup in which muse can be extended to markup section tags just like
it handles example, verbatim type markup tags.

However, once I realized that muse (in current form) does not handle
nested tags nicely, I scrapped the idea and went straight with what I
wanted, which was to generate HTML div tags in nested fashion for
publishing.

I think I will be able to extend the functionality of
planner-sectionalize to enable context-awareness based on title names,
i.e. Tasks, Notes, Schedule section, and have each section call
different parsing/markup routine.

We can handle markup such as:

* Tasks

** Some Sub Task Category

... task ...
... task ...

** Another Sub Task Category

... task ...
... task ...

and generate something like:

<tasks>
  <section title="Some Sub Task Category">
    <task>...</task>
    <task>...</task>
  </section>
  <section title="Another Sub Task Category">
    <task>...</task>
    <task>...</task>
  </section>
</tasks>

I'm not entirely certain how this will all fit in with current muse
implementation down the road.  It does not appear that XML publishing
plays well with generic publishing output capability that muse
currently possesses.

I'll take a crack at generating XML output from planner specifically
at first, and I guess we can take it from there.

Any other recommendations?

-Peter