Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: REALLY annoying bug in planner-muse (LONG b

From: Jim Ottaway
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: REALLY annoying bug in planner-muse (LONG backtrace incl)
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 18:57:50 +0000

> Jim Ottaway <address@hidden> writes:
>>>
>>> It looks possible from the backtrace that there is some problem with
>>> planner-appt-enable-all-advice.  Could you see whether the endelss
>>> looping happens if you don't load planner-appt?
>>
>> I've thought about this some more, and, of course, debug-on-quitting
>> could end up in the debugger at any random place in the sequence of
>> function calls.  It would probably be more revealing if you kept
>> planner-appt loaded and stepped through the function calls to see
>> where the endlessness happens.  I think you need to type 'd' to
>> single-step in the debugger.

> I would gladly do this, except I'm not entirely sure how to step
> through a function, or use the debugger...  Any help or pointers to
> this would be greatly apprectiated, even pointers to docs to read.

After 'M-x toggle-debug-on-quit', and quitting with C-g when you appear
to be in an infinite loop, you can keep pressing the key 'd', and the
debugger will single-step through the code.  It may be possible to see
where the infinite looping happens because you will see the same thing
happening over and over again.  Or it might get too boring, then type 'q'.

I actually noticed something of this infinite loop behaviour today,
and I have a glimmer of an inkling that it may be caused by the
function that tidies up links in task descriptions for planner-appt
[planner-appt-de-wiki].  I will have a look at this tomorrow to see if
my suspicions are confirmed.

Regards,

--
Jim Ottaway