Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Newbie question

From: Gijs Hillenius
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Newbie question
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 09:15:11 +0100

      > Rohan Nicholls <address@hidden> writes:
    >> At the moment I am using the priority of a, b, or c to signal
    >> urgency, and it would be nice to use a similar system in a
    >> second column to indicate importance.  This would allow me to
    >> see how many non-urgent

      > You'll probably love planner-rank.el, which not only allows
      > you to do importance/urgency but will even automatically
      > calculate urgency for you based on the deadline. =)

Hello!

This looks interesting, but I'm not sure how to use it. Forgive
me my ignorance.

here is what I did, perhaps someone is kind enough to kick me in the
right direction.

I added a (require planner-rank) and tested M-x plan, just
like that. A task with {{Deadline: 2006.03.12 - 1 day}}, that was
still set to priority B, did not change to priority A. Probably I have
not set the correct planner-rank-calculate-rank-* functions ( I am
reading http://www.mwolson.org/static/doc/planner/Task-Ranks.html)

Before I do that ((why would anything be wrong with the default
setting?)) let's try m-x planner-update-current-taks and set this task
to urgent. I now see:

#B _ Usb - ** magazine {{Deadline: 2006.03.12 - 1 day}} :
 [[gnus://nnml: (deleted) >][E-Mail  from *** ]]
 {{Rank: 3.88 - I=0 U=7}}                        <<<<<< this is new

But (m-x planner-deadline-update) ...  I'm still only a B. Now I'm not
going to make this deadline, I allready know that. But still. It is
supposed to turn "red"(A), right? Or .. does it only to that with
overdue tasks?

I must be missing something ..

But hey, planner rulez! I am using it for all my article writing, note
taking, todo-lists, telephone notes and reminders..  I keep telling my
collegues there are missing out on a great tool.  Many thanks!

--
Who to himself is law no law doth need,
offends no law, and is a king indeed.