emms-help

[emms-help] Re: darcs patch: emms-player-mplayer.el (emms-player-mplayer

From: Andrea Russo
Subject: [emms-help] Re: darcs patch: emms-player-mplayer.el (emms-player-mplayer-subtitle-c...
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 15:42:15 +0200

Jorgen Schaefer <address@hidden> writes:

> Andrea Russo <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Could you please consider this patch for inclusion?
>
> Sorry for the delay, I was away for a few days.

No problem at all.  I was just dubious about the way I sent the patch
and if there was a procedure to follow when proposing patches.

> I dislike just ignoring errors, on principle...

Well, in general, I agree :-)

> And I am somewhat confused about your error description. What kind
> of "remote files" are you trying to play? It sounds like tramp
> files, but that surely won't work?
>
> Also, could you post the error you get?

Yes, sorry for the sloppy description I wrote.  I'll try my best to be
clear, although my expressiveness in English is very limited.

Well, say for example that I add to my playlist a remote file via
`emms-add-url':

M-x emms-add-url <RET>
http://www.archive.org/download/3_do_t1_11h_3-Moglen_a/3_do_t1_11h_3-Moglen.ogg
<RET>

then I try to start playing it from the EMMS playlist buffer by
pressing `<RET>' on it.

At this point a buffer named `*tramp/scp http*' appears where TRAMP
warns the user with this message:

"ssh: http: Name or service not known".

After some tracing, then it becomes clear that the file error
"Permission Denied" is thrown by the function `file-exists-p' which is
called by `emms-player-mplayer-subtitle-checker' which is used to find
eventually subtitles for the remote media.  I attached the complete
backtrace.

Obviously, trying to open an http url via ssh it's not going to do any
useful thing.

So, maybe my patch is a quick and dirty hack, but at least permits to
the user to play remote files regardless of the presence or
retrievability of subtitles.

Another solution could be to simply disable subtitle checks for remote
files or figure out how to correctly retrieve them.

I hope this explanation is clear.

Many thanks for your attention,
Andrea.

--