epix-users

Re: [ePiX-users] Compilation failing after install

From: Andrew D. Hwang
Subject: Re: [ePiX-users] Compilation failing after install
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 23:30:57 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007, Jay Belanger wrote:

"Ben Tillman" <address@hidden> writes:

The machine I do most of my latex work on runs windows xp,

Windows xp?  It sounds custom made for ePiX.

:)

[snip]

I just started keeping all my work on a usb flash drive, to make it easy
to take between home and office.  Plus I'm a firm believer in the maxim:
keep all your eggs in one basket.

Yes, but make non-volatile copies of the basket, and scatter those about at home and work like a manic easter bunny. Never Throw Anything Away. :)

Anyhow, the usb flash drive has the vfat file system, and apparently ePiX
won't work on that filesystem.  ePiX creates symbolic links, and vfat
won't allow that.

Ach, "no symlinks in vfat" was news to me. :(

If the lack of symlinks is the only problem, the easiest workaround is to replace the symlink commands in your copies of epix, elaps, and flix with copy commands (adding the copy to the variable EPIX_TEMPFILES so it gets cleaned after the run). Off the top of my head I don't see any reason not to make this change in the sources, provided it does fix something. :)

Will upload a modified epix script in a bit.

I've taken to creating the pictures on my hard drive
(ext3), and then copying them to my work directory.
Is there a way to do the work in place on the usb drive?

Out of curiosity, the drive has to talk to both Windows and GNU/Linux?

Best,
Andy

Andrew D. Hwang                 address@hidden
Department of Math and CS       http://mathcs.holycross.edu/~ahwang
College of the Holy Cross       (508) 793-2458 (Office: 320 Swords)
Worcester, MA, 01610-2395       (508) 793-3530 (fax)