epix-users

Re: [ePiX-users] Compilation failing after install

From: Ben Tillman
Subject: Re: [ePiX-users] Compilation failing after install
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 08:39:34 +1100

On 03/12/2007, Andrew D. Hwang <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Dec 2007, Ben Tillman wrote:

> > Oops, I'm sorry. I was honestly thinking that the compiler output should
> > have been the eepic file itself, so I -o sphere.eepic.
> >
> Hi Ben,
>
> It's a reasonable assumption. :)
>
> As you've gathered, ePiX uses g++ to parse input files. Specifically, an
> input file contains a C++ program which, when compiled and run, writes a
> LaTeX picture to standard output. The shell script "epix" manages details
> of the process, in particular directing stdout to an output file. (It's
> possible to write directly to a named file, see pp. 32-33 of the manual,
> but that's usually a more specialized need.)
>
> In this sense, ePiX differs from gnuplot, Asymptote, GNU 3DLDF, et. al.,
> which provide their own input language and interpreter. Once you've got
> the software working, the "user interface" should be indistinguishable
> from other text-based drawing/plotting programs. ("Write input file,
> process, include output into LaTeX document".)
>
> > 2. Once I have the eepic file (I guess just the log.txt I have now), I
> > can't see where in the manual it shows how to insert this file into my
> > tex file without just pasting it in.
> >
> My oops...the manual used to contain explicit instructions, but they seem
> to have been removed during the "Version 1.2" rewrite. Will fix this in
> the near future.
>
> Please post if you still have questions, or if/when you figure out why
> compiling an image initially didn't work for you.
>
> Andy
>
> Andrew D. Hwang                 address@hidden
> Department of Math and CS       http://mathcs.holycross.edu/~ahwang
> College of the Holy Cross       (508) 793-2458 (Office: 320 Swords)
> Worcester, MA, 01610-2395       (508) 793-3530 (fax)

All fixed. Apparently, the standard install of g++ under cygwin
appends a .exe to compiled files. In my case, the epix script was
expecting to execute "sphere", but since g++ created "sphere.exe" epix
failed when checking it had execute rights of
"./$EPIX_TEMPDIR/$TEMP_BIN".

A quick and easy fix was to append a .exe to the definition $TEMP_BIN
a few lines above that check, then everything worked fine. For others
that stumble across this message, this is what I changed:
{ TEMP_BIN="$EPIX_INROOT" &&
{ TEMP_BIN="$EPIX_INROOT".exe &&

I've since managed to compile plenty of images and get them all
working inside pdf versions of my notes, so now it should just be a
matter of getting familiar with the details of creating new images.
Thanks for the help folks, and thanks for the explanation Andrew. A
further thanks, Andrew, for taking the time to create this software
for us.

Cheers,
Ben