epix-users

Re: [ePiX-users] Compilation failing after install

From: Jay Belanger
Subject: Re: [ePiX-users] Compilation failing after install
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 22:41:44 -0600

"Andrew D. Hwang" <address@hidden> writes:
>> I just started keeping all my work on a usb flash drive, to make it easy
>> to take between home and office.  Plus I'm a firm believer in the maxim:
>> keep all your eggs in one basket.
>>
> Yes, but make non-volatile copies of the basket, and scatter those about
> at home and work like a manic easter bunny. Never Throw Anything Away. :)

I do make backups, but not as often as I should.  I've been more of a
sedated easter bunny.  I think I'll make a backup now, though.

> If the lack of symlinks is the only problem, the easiest workaround is to
> replace the symlink commands in your copies of epix, elaps, and flix with
> copy commands (adding the copy to the variable EPIX_TEMPFILES so it gets
> cleaned after the run). Off the top of my head I don't see any reason not
> to make this change in the sources, provided it does fix something. :)

I suppose that the symlinks are there for a reason; perhaps it could be
configurable.

>> I've taken to creating the pictures on my hard drive
>> (ext3), and then copying them to my work directory.
>> Is there a way to do the work in place on the usb drive?
>>
> Out of curiosity, the drive has to talk to both Windows and GNU/Linux?

No; all my computers run GNU/Linux.  I suppose I could try to put
another file system on the drive, but I don't know if that's possible,
or a good idea.  (I suppose I could look it up, and there are probably
other advantages to a unix file system.)

Jay