fgs-bs

Re: [Fgs-bs] Items

From: tps12
Subject: Re: [Fgs-bs] Items
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 22:55:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Desired Username wrote:
> 2) Now that UIDs are in place, what's the semantics of
> the login name?  Unique and stable or not?  BTW, "UID"
> should be a field shown by the "variables" command.

Yes, as things stand, logins are still unique and stable. The UID is
supposed to be a unique identifier used on the server so we can relax the
restrictions on logins without messing up the filesystem. As of now, the
client never sees UIDs (which is why I didn't add the field to the
variables response (no, really): it's of no use to the client).

Actually, the way this works might need rethinking. One problem (and there
are others, I'm sure) is how to save games between one registered and one
guest account (the easy "solution" is to use some special invalid UID for
all guests, but then you won't see the guest's name in your history). I'm
open to suggestions.

> 3) I think I'm going to work on match negotiation,
> even though that might overlap your Room work.  Almost
> everything I can think of relies on Rooms, and I have
> to do something.

Go for it. I haven't gotten farther than a function prototype for opening
a new game, so I'll just hold off on that.