fgs-bs

Re: [Fgs-bs] Items

From: Desired Username
Subject: Re: [Fgs-bs] Items
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 20:31:45 -0700 (PDT)

--- tps12 <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Desired Username wrote:
> > 2) Now that UIDs are in place, what's the
> semantics of
> > the login name?  Unique and stable or not?  BTW,
> "UID"
> > should be a field shown by the "variables"
> command.
>
> Yes, as things stand, logins are still unique and
> stable. The UID is
> supposed to be a unique identifier used on the
> server so we can relax the
> restrictions on logins without messing up the
> filesystem. As of now, the
> client never sees UIDs (which is why I didn't add
> the field to the
> variables response (no, really): it's of no use to
> the client).

The reason I ask is that I noticed a couple places in
the code that used logins as unique Eye Dees.  One of
them was in the "match" command, but I guess that's
obsolete.

> Actually, the way this works might need rethinking.
> One problem (and there
> are others, I'm sure) is how to save games between
> one registered and one
> guest account (the easy "solution" is to use some
> special invalid UID for
> all guests, but then you won't see the guest's name
> in your history). I'm
> open to suggestions.

It also brings up the question of what to use for
historical "login" info, though, if that value can
change across time.  That is, if I play "Joe" on
Monday and he changes his name (for the same UID) to
"Jill", what shows in my history?

For both of these problems I would just say that we'll
cross that bridge after we burn the water under it.

> > 3) I think I'm going to work on match negotiation,
> > even though that might overlap your Room work.
> Almost
> > everything I can think of relies on Rooms, and I
> have
> > to do something.
>
> Go for it. I haven't gotten farther than a function
> prototype for opening
> a new game, so I'll just hold off on that.

You've probably seen my other email already, but I'll
say it here too.  I'm not going to do match nego right
now, I'm going to clear up the rank/rating mess.  For
mess it is.  Mess.  It.  Is.