fhsst-authors

Re: [Fhsst-authors] Potpourri

From: Sam Halliday
Subject: Re: [Fhsst-authors] Potpourri
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 20:39:20 +0100

marcuirl wrote:
> Peter Hutnick writes:
> > 1. When I make a DVI any pstricks lines are omitted.  Character
> > portions of the figure do show up.  When I make a PDF from the DIV
> > the lines appear.  Does this mean something is wrong with my
> > pstricks install?  Or is this an inherent limitation of pstricks?  I
> > experience the same behavior on my Windows system and my GNU/Linux
> > system.
>
> I'm sure not I understand what you mean. I have noticed funny things
> in dvi files as well (e.g. conservation of momentum figure in
> physics/collisions.tex) Sam tells me that these are related to a
> non-bug i.e. an actual bug in pstricks the author refuses to fix!
> Assuming you have the same TeX and pstricks on both systems (only
> linux for me here) I would suspect it is a problem with the dvi file
> and or viewer that then gets fixed in the conversion to ps/pdf

yup... you can search the FHSST-authors list for the email i originally sent
about this. i have my Emacs/AUCTeX setup to create the PS file rather than the
DVI. the problems are DVI specific.

> > 3. \begin{figure}[!h] is not recommended, but is used frequently (43
> > times) in hsalgebra.

yeah... don't worry about the LaTeX standards... we have so many contributors
and for a lot of people this is the first time they have ever used LaTeX. i am
drawing up a LaTeX standards document for people to use as guidance, hopefully
we can get a lot of internal consistencies smoothed out. i'll draw up a draft in
the next few days and submit it to the mailing list for scrutiny. when we all
agree, or at least the most part of those who speak up agree... then we will go
with it, and then that gives a lot of work updating all the files to the
standards :-)

[!h] is auto converted to [!ht] by LaTeX anyway, so don't worry about it. for
some reason or another people always want the figure exactly where they have it
in the text, instead of letting LaTeX place it properly and then refer to it as
"figure 1.7" or whatever. which i find more readable, and more portable across
various page sizes. however, for those instances where saying "this figure <then
the figure> then more text" is more reasonable, i have enabled the use of

\begin{figure}[H]

which does just that. but please don't use it unless using references is just
not feasible. (for an example of this in use, please see the elastic section of
physics/collisions.tex)

its good to see people using this list :-D

cheers,
Sam
--
Free High School Science Texts