Re: [fluid-dev] MIDI stutters when I move windows

From: Florian Schmidt
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] MIDI stutters when I move windows
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 18:22:31 +0100

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 14:10:37 -0300
Menteco <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi, I am experiencing MIDI output stuttering when I move windows and
> sometimes the mouse too.
> I play the MIDI file with KMid. First I run fluidsynth as:
> fluidsynth -m alsa_seq 8MBGMSFX.SF2
> then I run KMid and set it to use fluidsynth.
> I am using Gnome 2.4 on Debian unstable. The stutter occurs while
> using Metacity or Sawfish as window managers.
> My soundcard module is emu10k1 (soundblaster Live!) compiled into the
> kernel 2.6.0-test9.
> Is there a way to avoid this?
> Cheers,
> Paul www.menteco.tk

Yes, either run fluidsynth as root, or:

1] get a lowlatency [andrews patches. i don't know if they are included
with 2.6 but i think only the preemt patches are in] and capabilities
patched kernel, compile and install it..
2] install jack
3] compile fluidsynth with jack support
4] start jack via jackstart [so it aquires RT privs] but as normal user
5] start fluidsynth as normal user
6] have stutterfree fun!

Works like a charm here..

Flo