Re: [fluid-dev] MIDI stutters when I move windows

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] MIDI stutters when I move windows
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 11:44:09 -0800

On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 07:19, Menteco wrote:
> // play a midi file using a soundfont
> fluidsynth -m alsa_seq 8MBGMSFX.SF2 [celebrat_d.mid]
> open *.mid with KMid and settings/MIDIsetup=Fluid

It looks like you are still most likely using ALSA with fluidsynth, even
though you are running Jack. If you want to use Jack then add "-a jack"
to the fluidsynth command line. When you say MIDI stuttering, do you
mean the notes themselves are off time (what I originally thought you
meant) or do you mean that the audio has artifacts when moving windows,
etc? If the latter is the case, you might want to try increasing the
audio buffer sizes. You can do this with two command line switches "-z"
and "-c". -z sets the size of each buffer (try 256, 512, 1024), -c sets
the count of buffers (2, 3, 4) (if you run "fluidsynth --help" you'll
get a list of switches). Try lower values first, since the higher you
get the more latency you will have in the audio. This isn't such an
issue when playing MIDI files, but does become important when playing
live.

> Cheers,
> Paul www.menteco.tk

There could be issues with your X windows video driver as well. If you
are really concerned about latency, you could run the latencytest
program. It plays back a buffer of audio with high priority scheduling
and then rapes your machine with various resource intensive tasks and
graphs the results. You may find its adequate just to increase the audio
buffer size though. Cheers.
        Josh Green