Re: [fluid-dev] MIDI stutters when I move windows

From: Menteco
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] MIDI stutters when I move windows
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 12:19:36 -0300

Florian Schmidt wrote:

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 14:10:37 -0300
Menteco <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi, I am experiencing MIDI output stuttering when I move windows and sometimes the mouse too.
I play the MIDI file with KMid. First I run fluidsynth as:
fluidsynth -m alsa_seq 8MBGMSFX.SF2
then I run KMid and set it to use fluidsynth.
I am using Gnome 2.4 on Debian unstable. The stutter occurs while
using Metacity or Sawfish as window managers.
My soundcard module is emu10k1 (soundblaster Live!) compiled into the kernel 2.6.0-test9.
Is there a way to avoid this?
Cheers,
Paul www.menteco.tk

Yes, either run fluidsynth as root, or:

1] get a lowlatency [andrews patches. i don't know if they are included
with 2.6 but i think only the preemt patches are in] and capabilities
patched kernel, compile and install it..
2] install jack
3] compile fluidsynth with jack support
4] start jack via jackstart [so it aquires RT privs] but as normal user
5] start fluidsynth as normal user
6] have stutterfree fun!

Works like a charm here..

Flo
I followed your directions and more (see below) but I still experience the same degree of stutter (should I call this xruns or clips?) when I move windows.
I started jack as: jackstart --realtime --driver=alsa
then I started fluidsynth as: fluidsynth -m alsa_seq 8MBGMSFX.SF2
then I played the MIDI file with KMid.
I read the manpage for jackd and there are too many variables to tweak. Any suggestions about tweaking jack's or alsa's buffers, periods, etc to reduce clicks?
I am using a Soundblaster Live! card.

My complete installation log of jack and friends is next:
//enable capabilities in kernel source
cd /usr/local/src/linux/include/linux
# gedit capability.h
replace
#define CAP_INIT_EFF_SET to_cap_t(~0&~CAP_TO_MASK(CAP_SETPCAP))
with
#define CAP_INIT_EFF_SET to_cap_t(~0)
replace
#define CAP_INIT_INH_SET to_cap_t(0)
with
#define CAP_INIT_INH_SET to_cap_t(~0)
make xconfig
preemptive kernel
enable tmpfs
recompile kernel
// install..
libcap-dev
libfltk1 libfltk1-dev
doxygen doxygen-gui doxygen-doc
// edit fstab before jack installation
# nano /etc/fstab
shmfs /dev/shm shm defaults 0 0
none /tmp/jack tmpfs defaults 0 0
# cd /dev
# mkdir shm
reboot
// install jack
jack-audio-connection-kit-0.90.0.tar.gz from http://jackit.sourceforge.net/releases/current/
./configure --enable-capabilities
// make jackstart suid root
# chmod 4755 /usr/local/bin/jackstart
// install audacity - A fast, cross-platform audio editor
audacity
//install playmidi
playmidi
// install alsaplayer
alsaplayer alsaplayer-alsa
// install fluidsynth from source
// set your PATH to find fluidsynth
% cd
nano .bashrc
PATH=~/scripts:/sbin:/usr/local:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/kde/bin:/usr/X11R6/lib"${PATH}"
relog to gnome
// play a midi file using a soundfont
fluidsynth -m alsa_seq 8MBGMSFX.SF2 [celebrat_d.mid]
open *.mid with KMid and settings/MIDIsetup=Fluid

Cheers,
Paul www.menteco.tk