[fluid-dev] Re: Mapping GS, XG to GM

From: Josh Green
Subject: [fluid-dev] Re: Mapping GS, XG to GM
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 14:01:39 -0800

Funny you'd mention this.  Over the weekend I coded up a virtual bank
instrument type in libinstpatch.  It will be XML based and allow for
virtual banks to be created from components from one or more other
instrument files.  I was planning on initially just having support for
mapping presets/instruments/samples to arbitrary bank/program numbers
and also allowing splits to be assigned (for making new percussion banks
or assigning multiple instruments to different ranges of the keyboard).
Files will be indicated by name and MD5 hash, so a user's instrument
library could be treated as such and a given SoundFont looked up and
loaded (or downloaded from the Internet if not found locally).

The thought has occurred to me to allow for arbitrary modification of
any parameter, but at first I was just thinking of allowing the root
note and/or note ranges to be modifiable.  It seems like not much of an
additional step to allow for any parameter to be modified though.

At some point I'd like to create a new instrument format.  Lots of ideas
in that area, but it will also have to wait until some of the higher
priority stuff in Swami and FluidSynth is done.  But this virtual bank
format would be a good start in the direction of creating a new format.
Cheers!

        Josh