Re: [fluid-dev] invalid instrument/drum selection problem

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] invalid instrument/drum selection problem
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 11:46:01 -0800

On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 10:27 +0000, Edenyard wrote:
> Josh wrote:
>
> > I can see an issue though if someone decides to use channel #10 for
> > something other than drums (non GM/GS mode).  In that case that part of
> > your patch would cause a bit of headache for the user.
>
> I'm not sure if I'm understanding this thread correctly since my
> knowledge of MIDI is, at best, sketchy and my knowledge of coding even
> more so! But....
>
> I'd just like to point out that I'm one of a group of at least 2 people
> (!) who use all MIDI 16 channels of Fluidsynth for making notes. If
> there's some idea afoot to make one of the channels make drum noises
> only, that would be a DISASTER for us!!
>
> Sorry if this is an irrelevant interruption, but I just thought I ought
> to mention it.
>
> Yours humbly,
> Gerald.

No its not irrelevant and serves to prove a point.  We are discussing
cases where FluidSynth should override the bank/program selection in
priority for percussion banks on channel #10.  This is to improve
support for MIDI file playback (some of them having faulty bank
selections) and for better emulation of a GM or GS MIDI device.  I think
the default mode of FluidSynth should not treat channel #10 specially,
at least as far as overriding valid bank/program selections, but there
should be a device mode parameter which can be set to cause FluidSynth
to act more like a GM or GS device.

This parameter would get set to a device type (GM, GS or the default)
based on the following criteria:
- Assignment to this new FluidSynth option parameter (synth.midi-mode
perhaps)
- A Sysex message specifically requesting GM or GS initialization

I was originally thinking that maybe GM should be the default when
playing back MIDI, but I'm starting to think that is a bad idea too,
since this could cause issues for those playing back custom non GM MIDI
files.  So rest assured, FluidSynth will remain as flexible as possible
in the default case.

Best regards,
        Josh