Re: [fluid-dev] glib crash

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] glib crash
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 21:53:53 +0200

On 08/19/2013 05:55 PM, address@hidden wrote:
> Hello,
>
> trying to build a debug version of glib, and will do some tests on the
> failing target machines.
>
> In the meantime, I wanted to note that when I compile fluidsynth against
> the latest glib (v2.36.3), I get a lot a deprecation warnings related to
> mutex and threads :
>
> /Users/antoine/Documents/Code/fluidXtra/src/fluidsynth-1.1.5/src/utils/fluid_sys.h:161:31:
> 'g_thread_init' is deprecated
> /Users/antoine/Documents/Code/fluidXtra/src/fluidsynth-1.1.5/src/utils/fluid_sys.h:162:10:
> 'g_mutex_new' is deprecated
> /Users/antoine/Documents/Code/fluidXtra/src/fluidsynth-1.1.5/src/midi/fluid_midi_router.c:150:3:
> 'g_static_mutex_free' is deprecated
> etc..

I've seen these too. What I'm afraid of is that if I convert the stuff
to use the newer recommended functions instead, people using old
versions of glib might suffer. So it's a bit of a balance.

What do others think?

> Looking at the glib header files, I see this, in deprecated/gthread.h
>
> GLIB_DEPRECATED_IN_2_32
> void     g_thread_init                   (gpointer vtable);
>
> Could this mean that the current glib, when being called with these
> deprecated functions, fails on some old systems ?

Deprecated functions should not cause any problems, at least not in
theory. And as long as glib don't go into version 3 or something like
that, they should remain intact.

Of course, bugs can always happen. But have you tried the glib list?
They might have better knowledge than us about glib specifics.

I don't know much about how mac works, but if I got the same stack trace
on my Linux machine, I would start fluidsynth with gdb and dissasemble
the thread_memory_from_self function, looking at what instruction is at
thread_memory_from_self + 187. (This is the same as Element suggested btw.)