Re: [fluid-dev] FluidSynth on Raspberry Pi with Wolfson Pi card

From: R.L. Horn
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] FluidSynth on Raspberry Pi with Wolfson Pi card
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 22:25:16 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016, Element Green wrote:

Sometimes there are limitations with audio drivers in regards to sample
rate, buffer sizes, etc.  You may want to try 48KHz or 44.1KHz (depending
on which one you are using at the moment) for the sample rate.

I think that would result in a different error message (actually a warning and the synth playing out of tune), though it's still worth a try. Buffer problems throw up a warning and result in terrible latency, but that should be all.

As it happens, "The audio device error: ..." only occurs in one function: fluid_alsa_handle_write_error() (thank goodness for bad English). This function is only called after snd_pcm_writen() and snd_pcm_writei() calls. For some reason, those are returning EIO after apparently successful initialization.

I'd check the permissions in /dev/snd, but I don't think you'd get that far if those were a problem.

I'd also try a new alsa-lib, if one is available. My inclination would be to build from alsa-project.org sources if possible. Again, I don't think that will fix it, but what the heck?

Finally, try using plughw: instead of hw:.

What other applications have you tried that have been successful? For example, aplay would be a simple way to test ALSA.

I'm wondering the same thing. In particular, if aplay works, it would lead me to suspect that the driver is somehow failing to cope with non-blocking I/O (i.e. write() sets errno to EIO instead of EAGAIN). But that's just a wild stab in the dark.