Re: [fluid-dev] FluidSynth on Raspberry Pi with Wolfson Pi card

From: R.L. Horn
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] FluidSynth on Raspberry Pi with Wolfson Pi card
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 03:25:33 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 22 Apr 2016, Maciej - filologia angielska wrote:

2. Today I noticed that the problem must be due to Raspberry Pi's limitations in terms of its computing power.

Fluidsynth, it has to be said, is a bit of a CPU hog. Unfortunately, I believe the only way to boost performance is by using boards with more processors, which fluidsynth doesn't take advantage of.

fluidsynth -C0 -R0 -r22050 -l -a alsa -o audio.alsa.device=plughw:0

An HW: device would probably be faster (at least you don't have resamplers on top of resamplers), but latency is often a problem.

Then I increased the -r to 44100 and subsequently to 48000. With each increase, the Rpi would encounter "funny noises/drop-outs" (I do not know how to call them) and eventually the machine would crash during some of the more complex parts of the MID song.

That's not supposed to happen: you shouldn't get an EIO unless something really serious goes wrong. It sort of sounds like the driver simply gives up after X number of under-runs.