Re: [fluid-dev] FluidSynth on Raspberry Pi with Wolfson Pi card

From: Maciej - filologia angielska
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] FluidSynth on Raspberry Pi with Wolfson Pi card
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 16:14:29 +0200

Hello,

Thank you for your response.

1. Actually, I did not intend to say that ALSA and JACKD were giving me the same error in FluidSynth. The "fluidsynth: error: The audio device error: Input/output error" would appear when selecting ALSA, a few seconds after the initialization of FluidSynth (and the ">" prompt appearing). I simply wanted to say that the use of Jackd was not helpful, either (producing other error messages in the terminal window running jackd).

2. Today I noticed that the problem must be due to Raspberry Pi's limitations in terms of its computing power. I took your advice and started changing the frequency rates. With the following setting I was actually capable to play an entire MID file (of medium complexity):

fluidsynth -C0 -R0 -r22050 -l -a alsa -o audio.alsa.device=plughw:0

I used the following soundfont:

/usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.sf2

Then I increased the -r to 44100 and subsequently to 48000. With each increase, the Rpi would encounter "funny noises/drop-outs" (I do not know how to call them) and eventually the machine would crash during some of the more complex parts of the MID song.

Disabling some of the system services (the desktop environment had been disabled by me before), and overclocking the RPi to 950MHz did not produce much of a change. At 1000MHz, I actually managed to play 2 minutes of a relatively complex MID file for 2 minutes until the machine crashed at a more complex part of the song featuring various instruments/chords on several channels.

It seems like processing power is the culprit (now I understand that before adjusting the parameters the "noise" I could hear for 1-2 seconds was just the beginning of the MID file followed by an immediate crash of the RPi). I really do not wish to cut the sampling frequency below 44100, and I can live with a low polyphony (I intend the RPi to work as an addition connected as a slave to my main synth/sequencer), but any advice on further optimizing the playback quality (buffer size?) would be greatly appreciated.

Once again, thank you for your advice and helpful suggestions.