Re: [Freecats-Dev] Underlying Unix base

From: Marc Prior
Subject: Re: [Freecats-Dev] Underlying Unix base
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 12:19:45 +0200

Henri,

It's crucial when considering the technical side of a new application not to
forget the business side. And when considering the business side, not to
forget the commercial side.

Wordfast *could* no doubt be ported to OpenOffice.org, i.e. to Star Basic,
and certainly there are some people who would like to have it. I have even
wondered whether Sun might be interested in including it in Star Office (i.e.
as one of the benefits of buying the commercial product rather than its free
sister, OpenOffice.org). I don't know how difficult it would be; I can only
speculate. OOo, incidentally, has no hidden text function - a feature which
Wordfast, like Trados, relies on. Perhaps that's easily surmountable - I
don't honestly know.

However, as Yves points out, although there is some interest, it is not
enough to justify the work. There are other factors speaking against it: if
you want an application which interacts with OOo/SO, Star Basic is not
necessarily a wise choice. Sun has "inherited" Star Basic along with SO, but
I would not count on them supporting it indefinitely. Java is clearly the
programming language of choice - but that solution, of course, involves even
more work. Then there is the question of whether an application which can
only be used with one word processor is a good idea. If that word processor
is Word, OK - the market is huge. But if it's OOo, that's putting all your
eggs in a very small basket. There IS interest in OOo, but a lot of that
interest comes from people who object to being tied to Word. Those people
aren't necessarily keen to tie themselves to another word processor
(admittedly, one which is open source and has an open file format).

Some time ago, I spoke to many of the TM application vendors, including Yves,
about the possibility of porting their products to Linux or StarOffice. At
the moment, though, I don't see any likelihood of it happening. Hermann
Bruns, for instance, publicly said that this was planned for Metatexis, but
if you follow the discussions of Metatexis on the mailing lists, you will see
that he is busy enough already trying to get Metatexis to work with all the
different combinations of Windows/Word. The situation is similar for all the
TM vendors. The return on investment is much greater if they improve features
for their existing user base.

Araya and an updated version of Frankenstein were both launched in the last
two months. These are both commercial Java apps, i.e. they will also run on
Linux.  I don't expect a great surge of interest in these products. There are
twenty-odd TM applications already on the Windows market, and twenty-odd
translators in the Linux market :-)) , so either way, they will have a hard
time of it.

The reason OmegaT is different is that it is open source. It is a completely
different philosophy. OmegaT's future does not have much to do with technical
aspects. It is a question of whether mainstream professional translators can
become enthusiastic about open source, and/or the open-source community can
be persuaded that it is in its interests to reach out to the mainstream
translation community. OmegaT is unique in that it is the only product, at
least at the moment, which can act as a bridge between the two communities.
Foreigndesk is also open-source, but can't fulfil this role because it is
strictly Windows. Some enterprising (mainstream) translators have used
KBabel, gtranslator, etc. for their work but these applications and the
associated procedures are simply too technically challenging, by two orders
of magnitude, for the average professional translator. So there's the big
chance for OmegaT.

Marc