[Freecats-Dev] Underlying Unix base

From: Henri Chorand
Subject: [Freecats-Dev] Underlying Unix base
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 23:05:08 +0200

> On 5/8/03 21:54, "Yves Champollion" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > 2. Has OO's macro language what it takes? (you may criticize
> MS-VBA's so-so
> > reliability but I have heard hair-raising reports from people having
> > seriously tried to write anything with OO's macro language). But, I'm
> > willing to try, yes.
>
> If it doesn't, is there any way to hook into the underlying Unix
> base behind
> OO? (Though this would only work on Unix, Linux or Mac OS X, and
> not on windows...) I would think it's pretty easy (relatively) to write
> a segmenter using grep, sed and other tools...

It seems tempting, but I'm not sure I feel at ease with this idea.

For me, it really seems obvious that if agree on heading in OO's direction
(I'm for it), and as soon as we know we have SOME programming skills
available (Yves trying to port a portion of his tool), we should try to
contact OO's team in order to obtain info about HOW does one add a plug-in.

My god, what did I say? This might mean Yves would somehow give away some of
his trade secrets (the hardest ones, the segmenter part), at least under
OO...

Yves, "le fond de ma pensée" is, I'm not asking for it. If you port Wordfast
under OO, I would have another, very good reason to BUY it.

For me, free software is not a religion - what I really dislike is the way
William Gates-Of-Hell wants to rule the computing world, hence the idea to
have a OO plugin CAT tool.

In an ideal situation, Yves could help a number of CAT-related free software
projects while continuing to earn a decent life by selling a good software -
easier said than done. Whatever.

Henri