Re: [Devel] GB18030 problem

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Devel] GB18030 problem
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 07:54:44 +0100 (CET)

> We are implementing a new charset, zh_CN.GB18030, into several
> applications (like XFree86, qt, input method).

Hopefully, your results willl be freely available.  What about a free
GB 18030 (supplementary) font?

> Now we have come up one weird problem when displaying the characters
> using a ttf font, with xfs & freetype lib.  Generally if we display
> a set of characters that within the GB18030 character area, all the
> glpyhs will show up correctly.  However if we include any characters
> that outside of the GB18030 area, the application's glyph will
> disapear.
>
> ie.
> 0x8139EE38 hasn't got glyph in the font
> 0x8139EE39 has glyph in the font
> 0x8139EF30 has glyph in the font
>
> If only we display 0x8139EE39, 0x8139EF30, there are no problem.
> However if we include 0x8139EE38, all the glyphs in the application
> will be erased with blanks.

Strange indeed.  Maybe a bug in the (3,10) charmap support of
FreeType?  Since I don't have such a font, I can't analyze it further.
What about other fonts with a (3,10) charmap?  E.g. the code2001 font
(is this the right name?) from James Kass?