Re: [Devel] GB18030 problem

From: Leon Ho
Subject: Re: [Devel] GB18030 problem
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 12:23:03 +1000 (EST)

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>
> >> We are implementing a new charset, zh_CN.GB18030, into several
> >> applications (like XFree86, qt, input method).
> >
> >Hopefully, your results willl be freely available.  What about a free
> >GB 18030 (supplementary) font?
>
> Red Hat developed software is open source, including patches, so
> this work, like all development will be sent upstream under
> compatible license.
>
> Currently, we do not develop fonts however.  Perhaps the new Luxi
> fonts contributed to XFree86 are useable?  Not sure..

Indeed. All the patches we created or applied will be available from our
src.rpms and will be sent the upstream if possible.

> >> If only we display 0x8139EE39, 0x8139EF30, there are no problem.
> >> However if we include 0x8139EE38, all the glyphs in the application
> >> will be erased with blanks.
> >
> >Strange indeed.  Maybe a bug in the (3,10) charmap support of
> >FreeType?  Since I don't have such a font, I can't analyze it further.
> >What about other fonts with a (3,10) charmap?  E.g. the code2001 font
> >(is this the right name?) from James Kass?
>
> I'll let Leon take that one.  ;o)

Are you refering the font from
http://home.att.net/~jameskass/code2001.htm?

It may be the same bug, as GB18030 and Unicode have simliar planes and we
are using -iso10646-1 as the charset for the font.

There is a publicly available ttf for GB18030 in the community. It's at
ftp://ftp.turbolinux.co.jp/pub/TurboLinux/stable/tested/current/i586/ttf-zh-song-1.4-6.noarch.rpm

Leon
--
Leon Ho