Re: [Devel] GB18030 problem

From: Mike A. Harris
Subject: Re: [Devel] GB18030 problem
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 21:23:50 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

>Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 07:54:44 +0100 (CET)
>From: Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>
>To: address@hidden, address@hidden
>Subject: Re: [Devel] GB18030 problem
>

>> We are implementing a new charset, zh_CN.GB18030, into several
>> applications (like XFree86, qt, input method).
>
>Hopefully, your results willl be freely available.  What about a free
>GB 18030 (supplementary) font?

Red Hat developed software is open source, including patches, so
this work, like all development will be sent upstream under
compatible license.

Currently, we do not develop fonts however.  Perhaps the new Luxi
fonts contributed to XFree86 are useable?  Not sure..

>> If only we display 0x8139EE39, 0x8139EF30, there are no problem.
>> However if we include 0x8139EE38, all the glyphs in the application
>> will be erased with blanks.
>
>Strange indeed.  Maybe a bug in the (3,10) charmap support of
>FreeType?  Since I don't have such a font, I can't analyze it further.
>What about other fonts with a (3,10) charmap?  E.g. the code2001 font
>(is this the right name?) from James Kass?

I'll let Leon take that one.  ;o)

Take care!
TTYL