Re: [Devel] Help me understand this... I'm loosing my sanity. Please.

From: Maurizio Colucci
Subject: Re: [Devel] Help me understand this... I'm loosing my sanity. Please.
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 09:09:10 +0200

On Thursday 10 April 2003 07:39, Anthony Fok wrote:
> I did try to turn the bytecode interpreter off for some time, but
> immediately received a bunch of bug reports--some complain that the
> fonts were too fuzzy, or that there was colour fringes, or that MingLiU
> became unusable.

I don't know what to say. Fuzzy? IMHO, now, with auto-hinting enabled,
my fonts look superb. I agree that with antialiasing disabled the
rendering is worse. But with antialiasing enabled, it is definitely
better. And I am convinced that a modern distribution such as sid
should favor antialiased fonts, since this is what modern users are
used to. Especially those seeeking an alternative to Windows XP, such
as I was.

In case I didn't stress that enough, let me add: I know at least two
persons (I am one of these) who have seriously though abandoning
Debian because the antialiased fonts were ugly. I want to point out
that this is a main user expectation nowadays.

Don't you agree?

(PS: And I have left aside the legal risks, of which you are surely
aware)

 Maurizio