Re: [Devel] bytecode interpreter vs. autohinter

From: Vincent Caron
Subject: Re: [Devel] bytecode interpreter vs. autohinter
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 12:59:01 +0200

Maurizio Colucci wrote:
On Thursday 10 April 2003 08:06, Keith Packard wrote:

We should also be receiving libre fonts from Bitstream in the near future
which are exceptionally well hinted and which perform quite a bit better
with the bytecode interpreter than with the autohinter.  If, as I hope,
these fonts become commonplace in Linux applications, then many people
will greatly benefit from the interpreter.

That comes to mind. I can see the bool parameters 'hinting' and 'autohint' in fontconfig, so everything is in place to provide this per-face hinter preference ? (Provided the user has a bytecode enabled FreeType library) That would be the end of Anthony's dilemna.

Does anybody know if MS Cleartype and Mac os X are taking account of
the bytecodes?

MS uses so called GASP tables in their TrueType fonts, which tell the renderer wether to turn antialiasing and/or hinting on/off, depending on pixel size (sort of 'in place' fontconfig options). When ClearType is turned on, antialiasing is always on, and R.C. van Dalen seems to believe that hinting is still honored (wich makes sense).