Re: [Devel] Bad problems due to function renaming

From: Tim Ruehsen
Subject: Re: [Devel] Bad problems due to function renaming
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:55:06 +0100

Am Mittwoch, 19. November 2003 13:07 schrieb Werner LEMBERG:
> > But the main problem is the renaming of functions within an API
> > without introducing 'wrappers' and/or without increasing the main
> > version number of the library (freetype.so.6) which prevents
> > parallel installation of old and new versions.
>
> ???  The API itself hasn't changed!

FYI, I am not on the list anymore.
But now, we start right from the beginning of the thread...

1. compile an app (pango or qt3 or whatever) with freetype 2.0.9 start it on a
system with freetype 2.1.x: unresolved symbols (FT_Seek_Stream which has been
'replaced' by FT_Stream_Seek).

2. compile an app (pango or qt3 or whatever) with freetype 2.1.x start it on a
system with freetype 2.0.9: unresolved symbols (FT_Stream_Seek which has
formerly been FT_Seek_Stream). This could be absolutely ok, if someone would
have change the libraries major version to allow 2.0.9 and 2.1.x coexist.

If the API hasn't changed, what the hell is going on? In the end, the answer
to this question is not important. Important is, that things like these
should not happen and should be taken care of in the future.

Grtz, Tim