Re: [Devel] Bad problems due to function renaming

From: Owen Taylor
Subject: Re: [Devel] Bad problems due to function renaming
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 16:15:42 -0500

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 12:05, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> > 1. compile an app (pango or qt3 or whatever) with freetype 2.0.9
> > start it on a system with freetype 2.1.x: unresolved symbols
> > (FT_Seek_Stream which has been 'replaced' by FT_Stream_Seek).
>
> I thought that Owen has answered that already: Pango intentionally
> uses internal functions of FreeType for various reasons; you thus
> *can't* upgrade FreeType without recompiling Pango itself.
>
> > If the API hasn't changed, what the hell is going on?
>
> See above.  Programs which only depend on FreeType (and which don't
> use internal functions) will work OK.
>
> > Important is, that things like these should not happen and should be
> > taken care of in the future.
>
> I fully agree.  Owen, any suggestion?  Tim is the first one who
> complains about this particular problem...  To be more specific, he is
> the first who complains on the FreeType list about this problem :-)

For OpenType, I think Dave Turner's suggestion of just getting the
entire table as one piece from FreeType and working with it that
way is the right way to go.

Long term, perhaps FreeType really shouldn't be installing it's
internal headers.. but please don't make that change until
GTK+ and Qt are using some common OpenType shared code that doesn't need
these functions :-)

Regards,
                                                Owen