RE: [Devel] Telling font types from an FT_Face?

From: Leonard Rosenthol
Subject: RE: [Devel] Telling font types from an FT_Face?
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 10:02:38 -0500

At 9:54 AM +0100 12/17/03, Turner David wrote:
Hello Leonard,

        Hi David!   It's good to be back to work on/with FT on a regular basis!

The best thing for now is the function named FT_Get_X11_Font_Format, defined
in FT_XFREE86_H, aka <freetype/ftxf86.h>.

This function is definitely what I am looking for (and was thinking I had to write myself).

We could make it official I think, if we list the correct values, i.e.
add something like that to the header file:

I think that exposing this as a public API call, with known return values, would be a worthwhile addition. I'm happy to make the changes (though I need to figure out if I still know my CVS password ;).

for now, the values are embedded in each font driver that implements
the service.

Would it be better to put the info into the FT_FACE itself during loading? It would change the public data structure, though...

Note that this API doesn't deal with the differentiation between
OpenType/TrueType and OpenType/CFF fonts.

For my needs, I need to know this differentiation - so yes, it would have to handle this as well. Which again, might be better done at load time and filling in the FT_Face...

LDR
Leonard Rosenthol                            <mailto:address@hidden>
Chief Technical Officer                      <http://www.pdfsages.com>
PDF Sages, Inc.                              215-629-3700 (voice)
                                             215-629-0789 (fax)