RE: [Devel] Telling font types from an FT_Face?

From: Turner David
Subject: RE: [Devel] Telling font types from an FT_Face?
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:54:28 +0100

Hello Leonard,

> Given an FT_Face, what is the safest/cleanest way to know what type
> of font (TrueType, Type 1, etc.) that I have?
>
> Should I just get the driver name?  Or is there something better?

Avoid using internal faces.

The best thing for now is the function named FT_Get_X11_Font_Format, defined
in FT_XFREE86_H, aka <freetype/ftxf86.h>.

For now, this function is reserved for the XFree86 font backend, which is
why it is not included in the official API reference. However, the function
itself has been part of several FreeType releases to date.

We could make it official I think, if we list the correct values, i.e.
add something like that to the header file:

#define  FT_FONT_FORMAT_UNKNOWN            "Unknown"    /* for really sick
cases */
#define  FT_FONT_FORMAT_TRUETYPE           "TrueType"
#define  FT_FONT_FORMAT_TYPE1              "Type 1"
#define  FT_FONT_FORMAT_CFF                "CFF"
#define  FT_FONT_FORMAT_OPENTYPE           "OpenType"   /* OpenType/CFF a.k.a.
OpenType Outlines */
#define  FT_FONT_FORMAT_PFR                "PFR"
etc....

for now, the values are embedded in each font driver that implements
the service.

Note that this API doesn't deal with the differentiation between
OpenType/TrueType and OpenType/CFF fonts.

Opinions ?

Regards,

- David Turner