Re: [ft-devel] ttfautohint: How to install

From: vernon adams
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] ttfautohint: How to install
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 09:54:23 +0100

The 'final image' is simply the ttfautohint instructions with the addition of
links (double links work best in this instance). I did no extra hinting from
fontlab - what you see afaik is pixel fitting from the ttfautohint
instructions, plus the effect of the additional links.  Sadly Fontlab has no
function to see or manipulate the actual TT instructions, so i can't see what
how the actual instructions differ when i add the links.

I think it's interesting that if i look at the same font in FontForge's
Gridfitmode, then i don't see the egging issue at all. Is it possible that
Fontlab's TT rendering is much more like the microsoft engines? It definitely
looks like the rendering in the screenshots i took from Windows7.

Is any of this helping ?  :)  I'm temped to look at the font in MS
VisualTruetype and look at the raw instructions when i add links.

-vern