Re: [ft-devel] ttfautohint: How to install

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] ttfautohint: How to install
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 21:36:37 +0200 (CEST)

> I am curious - as i understand it(?) ttfautohint uses freetype to
> find snap zones etc from which it bases it's TT instructions output.

I've copied a large part of the autofit module into ttfautohint;
additionally, I'm calling some FreeType routines for generic reading
and parsing of the input font.

> So what mileage could there be in using a patched freetype tree with
> ttfautohint?

ttfautohint doesn't use a modified FreeType library.  However, the
copied autofit stuff has been slightly modified since I have to access
various data structures which aren't publicly exposed normally.

> I'm thinking of some of Infinality patches that have attempted to
> tweak Freetype's hinting routines.  Some i think were attempting to
> give more aggressive, cleartype-like rendering.

The stuff from Erik regarding the autohinter is exactly this.
However, I have yet to test whether I can `translate' it easily into
bytecode instructions.

   Werner

PS: BTW, I've delayed integration of Erik's patches until this release
    is out.