Re: [ft-devel] A review of ttfauthint by designer of Siri

From: vernon adams
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] A review of ttfauthint by designer of Siri
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 20:49:13 +0000

On 09/02/12 15:17, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

So, in theory, it could be possible to add a feature to allow the
user to set the threshold ?  :)

Not only in theory!  We are going right now to implement that.  Have a
look at the `autohinter-properties' branch in the FreeType
repository.

Thats great!

The unwanted conversion of `i' to `l' is a bug, I think (at least at
this size).  Alas, I don't know yet how to fix it.

Seems to me another example of bad snapping, as i assume it's the
dot of the 'i' snapping downwards and not the x-height of the 'i'
snapping up to meet the dot??

It's rather that code is missing which checks that segments from
different outlines have enough vertical separation.  I have to
investigate yet whether this is a problem in my bytecode or a general
problem with the FreeType autohinter.

It's allways been noticeable to me that when i manually hint fonts on Windows GDI, the font at small pt sizes renders on Freetype sytems with the x-height and Caps height lower than under Windows GDI. Therefore it makes sense that the reverse happens when we put 'freetype-hinted' fonts onto GDI Windows - they look too tall. In my opinion ttfautohint needs to use freetype libs that snap x-height and caps-heights lower than the standard freetype autohinter. Does that make sense?

-vern