Re: [ft-devel] A review of ttfauthint by designer of Siri

From: vernon adams
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] A review of ttfauthint by designer of Siri
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 23:22:26 +0000

On 09/02/12 20:49, vernon adams wrote:

It's allways been noticeable to me that when i manually hint fonts on
Windows GDI, the font at small pt sizes renders on Freetype sytems with
the x-height and Caps height lower than under Windows GDI. Therefore it
makes sense that the reverse happens when we put 'freetype-hinted' fonts
onto GDI Windows - they look too tall. In my opinion ttfautohint needs
to use freetype libs that snap x-height and caps-heights lower than the
standard freetype autohinter. Does that make sense?

-vern

For screenshots example of this see "Oxygen Font – Manual Hinting versus the Freetype2 Autohinter" at http://code.newtypography.co.uk.

Freetype2 renders the 'native' Oxygen font at correct heights, but renders the manually hinted version not tall enough.
-v